Monday, March 14, 2011

Vintage Skirt Pattern

I recently found a vintage Butterick pattern in a local Salvation Army op-shop. After some detective work (using the ever-trusty Google) I discovered that the pattern is from 1962!



I loved the suit, but thought it was a bit too advanced for me at the moment, so I had a go at the skirt. It was extremely simple, even following the pattern instructions was easy! But, the skirt wasn't what I envisaged. Being an older pattern, the cut is markedly different from what we're used to. I altered it a far bit to make it a little more form fitting. Next time I might make it a little more true to the pattern.

Using my new skirt, I was inspired by my friend Viv, over at ish and chi, in creating this outfit.

Homemade skirt using Butterick 2178
Decjuba turtleneck
Vintage brooch
Ferragamo heels

4 comments:

  1. That's a lovely outfit for work, definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! That's exactly the look I'm going for with my current project, Butterick 5466, but alas, it's not turning out as planned. I have to ask: did you taper the sides of the skirt, or did you keep it perfectly straight from hip to hem?

    (Decjuba... Decjuba... I seem to remember buying a few t-shirts from a label called Decjuba when I lived in Sydney. Is this blog perchance Australian?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Emma Louise. I did end up tapering the sides, despite the pattern's instructions. It fit in the waist, but just hung like a box from the waist down. The tapering was just guess work, really. I wish I knew how to do it properly because it took about 6 goes to get it right.

    And, yes, this blog is Australian :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... looks like tapering is the way to go, then. Funny, I thought "pencil skirt" and "straight skirt" were one and the same, but I guess there's a slight difference between them.

    There is a tiny restaurant here in Montreal called "TA: Tourtiere Australienne" and it's where I go to satisfy my cravings for lamington. And I hear that you can find "poutine" in Melbourne! Small world...

    http://www.tourtiereaustralienne.ca/Tourtiere_Australienne_english/Home.html

    ReplyDelete