Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Butterick Retro 4790

This project is another one of my very early projects. I made the Butterick Retro 4790 pattern in about October of last year.

 
I loved the wrap style, the full skirt and the fact it was marked very easy! 

Initially, I was going to make it in the style of Dolce & Gabbana use a black and white polka dot fabric for the outer layers and a leopard print for the inside. However, after much consideration, I decided on a plain black for the outside and leopard print for the inside. 

The dress itself was extremely easy. I used a black bias binding on the trim - everywhere except the hem - and it took forever. If I was to make it again, which I plan to, I'd think carefully about whether I'd use bias binding again.

I also had some problems with the front of the outside part. The flaps kind of curl up at the ends - like elf shoes - and overlap on one another, but it's not too much of a problem. I might cut some off so more leopard is visible.

I'm happy with the end result. I just wish the bias binding was a little better. 





Action shot! 





After wearing the dress to take the pictures, I'm impressed with how far my sewing has come since late last year!

7 comments:

  1. It looks great :) The leopard print is very subtle and grown-up with the black to tone it down. I have this dress pattern too and am looking forward to making it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's a great pattern, I really recommend it. I want to make some more, but I'm not sure what fabrics, colours or prints to use!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very cute, I agree that the leopard print looks fun without being overwhelming.

    I have a question about the pattern--are the front and the back of the skirt connected in any way, and do you find the skirt stays closed if they aren't? I made up a similar wrap dress pattern in which the front and back were separate, and I've only worn it once because I can't even walk in it without flashing! But I love this pattern and it looks so cute on you, so I'd love to know how wearable you find the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this pattern (ordered it last week), now I´m still wanting it more. The fabrics you chose are perfect.
    I think you should wear it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm... i've had this pattern for ages, but have never actually opened it- hehe. yours came out really cute, i think i'm insipred. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen so many versions of this dress, but I think yours is my favourite...you can't beat a bit of animal print! I'm even inspired to try it myself now ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow!! i love how this turned out! i have had this pattern for a long time and now i am totally inspired to make it!!

    ReplyDelete