I've always been a big fan of op-shopping. For years I would spend hours thrift shopping to find fantastic vintage pieces, but nowadays, I head straight to the patterns and fabric section.
The other day I stumbled across a small goldmine from the late 80s, early 90s. While this isn't an era I usually care for, the patterns were particularly cute and, I think, will make great work pieces.
Vogue Basic Design 1010
I bought this pattern for views A, B and D. But, to me, looks very 80s/90s. Especially the buttons. I don't know if I'll include the buttons when it comes time to make the dress.
Vogue Givenchy 1925
I bought this pattern for the skirt alone. But having a closer look at the jacket, it looks like it might be a classic style which won't look too out of place in 2011. Unfortunately though, the jacket is far too big for me so I doubt I'll make it.
Vogue Chloe 1835
Again, I bought this pattern for the skirt. Although it is similar to the Givenchy pattern, the back view shows that the skirt has a trim all the way down the back.
Vogue Ultra Easy 3505
I just love this dress! It reminds me of a trench dress which I saw some years ago and never bought. I can tell that it will be quite flattering once it is made.
Butterick 5120
I love this skirt! It's an elastic waistband, but I'm sure it will be easy enough to substitute this for an invisible zip. Or maybe I can do the elastic so it is nearly fully stretched when worn and won't bunch? I've already decided I'd like a nice cotton drill fabric in a khaki for this project. I spotted the perfect fabric just the other day.
The only down side is that these patterns are all a size or so too big. It will be easy enough to size down the skirts but the dresses will be a bit more of a challenge. Does anyone know of any good tutorials that may help?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I loove the dress that looks like a coat, very cute. I found this page on altering patterns which is quite helpful http://www.makingmagazine.com/downloads/PatternGradingSize.pdf or http://sensibility.com/tips/how-to-resize-a-pattern/ I haven't done it myself yet but bookmarked these for a later date!
ReplyDeleteThe huge shoulder pads pretty much give away the 80's patterns. I came across some of my own lately for 20 cents each. You've got to love a bargain.
ReplyDelete